Role of media, Types of media, Their Advantages and Disadvantages29/08/2022 0 By indiafreenotes
Advertising media is the medium through which an advertisement is delivered to the public. It carries messages, stories or points regarding the product that is being advertised. It is a highly informative way to reach the masses and ask them to buy the product or avail of the service.
Advertising Media plays a significant role in binding the direct communication relationship between the seller and the buyer.
With the help of right types of advertising, there is not a single speck of doubt about the fact that you will be able to make your brand known to people in the best way.
Advertising is a parallel universe. It is the most powerful medium through which anything in our mind, thoughts, and dreams, can be conceptualized and presented in the world, and most importantly to the target audiences and beyond.
Significant Features of Media
- Space for interactivity: New media constructions frequently promote more interaction as compared to old media. It gives space to the audience to engage with the information received from the media and interact with it.
- Power of users: Interactivity also grants more power to its audience. Admittedly, in some new media compositions, the audience is reasonably better defined as users since there is a decrease in the gap between the media producers and their consumers. The audience can use streaming services to follow the various television programmers they desire to watch according to their convenience.
- Better accessibility: New media can be termed as open media. When people have the means and broadband internet access, they can get instant access to the many media content (much of which is free). It allows media producers to make money, moving towards the various subscription services and increasing the significant amounts of advertising to attract more viewers.
Many companies spend a lot of money on advertising, relying on the various forms of media out there to spread awareness about their products and increase their sales. Here is a breakdown of the role of advertising in the media.
Spreading Awareness through Advertising
Advertisements alert people about new products and services in the market that could potentially fulfil their needs or solve their problems. A typical advertisement will tell you what the service or product is, where it can be bought, for how much, by whom, and why it should be bought. This is possible through the power of the media to reach millions of people at the same time.
Popularizing a Brand
Think of all the popular brands you know, such as Coca-Cola or McDonald’s. These brands are where they are today because they utilized the phenomenon of advertising well. Through constant republishing and replay to large groups of people, the media popularizes the brand. Many people see it multiple times, and it sticks in their heads. Eventually, when they see it out there, they will recognize it and are more likely to buy it.
Increasing Customer Demand
The target audience of advertisements is typically large, whether you’re advertising in social media, print media, radio, or television. A well-crafted advertisement will convince the public that they should buy the product or subscribe to the service being advertised. As a result, whatever is already in the market becomes exhausted or oversubscribed, leading to an increase in demand for the product or service.
Increased Company Profits
This one works for the same reasons as the previous one on demand. Advertisements are usually displayed to large groups of people at the same time. This means that, even with a low conversion rate, many people will end up buying your products eventually. If you execute your advertisement well, you will get a good conversion rate and great sales. Increased sales, of course, mean increased profits.
It all boils down to how well you do your advertisement. A badly executed ad will not do any good for your company, no matter how many people see it. A well-executed ad, on the other hand, can do wonders for your bottom line and turn your brand into a household name. Ultimately, it can’t be denied that advertising in media is the fuel that drives global business.
Advantages of Media
- Education: Media educates the mass. With the help of television or radio shows, the mob discovers various facts about health affairs, environmental preservation, and many more topics of relevance.
- Updated: People receive the latest news in a short time. Distance does not make a barrier in distributing information to people from any place on earth. People get daily news updates from media outlets, which keeps them updated on the current trends and happenings worldwide.
- Exercise innate potentialities: People get to exercise their hidden talents through media. Media helps to showcase their hidden skills such as comedy, performing, singing, recitation, etc.
- Gather knowledge: Media helps to increase knowledge about various subjects.
- Mass production: Media acts as a great tool in promoting mass consumer products, increasing sales of the assets.
- Entertainment: Serves as a good source of entertainment. People get entertained through music and television programs.
- Cost reduction: Electronic media promotes electronic duplication of information, reducing the production cost and making mass education achievable.
- Cultural immersion: Media allows the diffusion of diverse cultures by showcasing different cultural practices. It helps people around the world to be understanding of each other and welcome their differences.
Disadvantages of media
- Difficulty to Access: Some media topics are unsuitable for children; limiting access to such content can be challenging for elders in specific scenarios.
- Fraudulence and Cybercrime: The Internet opens up avenues for imposters, criminals, and hackers, or such predators with the possibility to commit criminal acts without any knowledge of the victims.
- Individualism: People spend an excessive amount of time on the internet, watching or binging content. As a result, their relationship with friends or family and neighbours may be affected.
- Addiction: Some television programs and internet media can be very addictive to most children and adults, leading to a drop in productivity.
- Faulty advertisement tactics: It often makes the use of drugs and alcohol appears cool, which can be harmful to the nations’ youth.
- Health Concerns: Prolonged television watching or internet binging can lead to vision problems, and exposure to loud noises by using headphones or earphones can lead to hearing defects.
- Personal Injury: Some people decide to try the stunts that have been showcased in the media, which lead to severe injuries.
- Malware and Fake Profiles: An individual can create an anonymous account and pretend to be someone else. Anyone can use such profiles for malicious reasons, such as spreading lies, which can ruin the reputation of any targeted individual or company.